Friday 12 July 2013

Spay Neuter Effects And The Health of Our Dogs

a long time ago, to the fact that not all health care professionals believe that spaying and neutering young dogs is in their best interest. This controversy, heard often when I traveled in Europe and rumbling at a low level in the US, didn’t reach critical mass here in the States until research began surfacing that questioned the side effects of these procedures.                                  
                                                                                                 
Spaying or neutering dogs makes sure the all-too-numerous population of unwanted puppies doesn't grow, and gives dogs and puppies already in shelters the best chance for adoption.

I recently scoured scientific literature looking for evidence that spay/neutering is better for dogs in an attempt to convince a client he should get his very large male health of our dogs neutered. I couldn't find any convincing evidence.

I belong to a tribe that is somewhat beleaguered these days: I breed and show purebred dogs. I screen my homes carefully. I have long legal contracts that require any dog of my breeding to be returned to me if he or she is no longer wanted, regardless of reason or age or health condition. And, of course, I require that all puppies that I sell as companions be spayed and neutered.

Most every rescue organization requires spaying or neutering as a requirement of homing a dog, or will perform this procedure before a dog is homed.dog nutrition and health But regardless of the stereotypical overly-empathetical human male, and regardless of the well-meaning intentions of the rescue organization, spay and neuter is not the right procedure for every dog.

Many folks hesitate to spay or neuter their pet, fearing that it's painful and wondering what the actual benefits are. Here is a discussion of the procedure and why you should consider it for your dog.

“The study results indicate that dog owners and service-dog trainers should carefully consider when to have their male or female dogs neutered,”

No comments:

Post a Comment